Sunday, November 16, 2014

Moment of Silence

Today we must take a moment of silence for respect of the fallen. I was given news that Sylvester has passed away while I was in Arizona. The people babysitting them contacting my mom to inform me of this tragic news. I'll show the message below:
"Bad news....Sylvester died!!!! Seemed like he was fine last night when we went to bed? Sad!! Oh man! I feel so bad! Missy was worried that he hadn't grown at all despite always eating and drinking. Would you let Shelby know? And Missy said he probably had internal damage. There's nothing we could have done. :( Megan's crying... Missy told us that He's is a miniature chicken. That breed doesn't get very big anyway. She does have another one like him though. We can replace him if that helps..."

This is how he was suppose to have grown to

Apparently, he's had an issue from the minute that he was given to us. Tweety has been thriving, so we know (and Missy assured us) that we haven't been doing anything wrong to raise them. His lack of growth was a sign that there was always something wrong. (Missy, by the way, is the owner of the farm that we got the chicks from. I've mentioned her many times before- see more about her in my past blog posts).
This has been very upsetting got our entire community. Whether it be me, Megan, Tweety, Missy, or anyone who's ever met sweet little Sylvester. He was known as being a nice, gentle, baby chicken. Everyone who's ever met him agreed he was very cute and cuddly, and extremely friendly. Every single person would just fall in love with the little guy the minute that they would meet him. He had a very kind old soul, and its very sad and tragic to see him go. I do not know what really happened to him or how, as I was not present to witness his death, but I'm sure he had a very peaceful passing. They say, when birds pass away, they grow an extra pair of wings in heaven.

Tweety has been quite unsettled since the incident, or so I've been told. They said he's been pacing back and forth and squawking loudly, mourning the death of his brother and best friend. Although at times they didn't get along and had to be separated, they were still best pals and Tweety was very sad to see his friend go. Even know he's very upset and I can tell he's not taking this whole thing well.
Responses after Megan posted a memorial on instagram

As we reflect his life, we cannot forget the great memories we had with him. Whether it be him being like a little penguin, giving him a bath, him falling asleep in your hand, snuggling up into his blanket, cuddling with his stuffed toy, etc. Now, we mustn't mourn and be filled with sorrow about his death; we must celebrate the life that he lived. Sylvester, We all do and will always miss you. Rest in peace my sweet sweet little baby chick. <3 <3

This is his burial ground :(

**Update: I've been told the cause of death was from internal bleeding. If one chick pecks at another chick enough (especially in the head) it can cause the pecked at chick to internally bleed and die. I'm sorry Sylvester had to go through this.**

I also don't know why its randomly highlighting white, so I apologize for the odd formatting.

This guy is going through a similar experience, poor dude.
Sad topic... http://youtu.be/kZbzcUwGoVE

(P.S. NO I DID NOT KILL SYLVESTER. I WASN'T EVEN THERE WHEN HE DIED SO THATS NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE WHOLE STORY, ASK ME IN PERSON AND I WILL EXPLAIN IT TO YOU. BUT ONCE AGAIN, I DID NOT KILL HIM. THANK YOU.)

1 comment: